Skip to main content

The return of the Prince

Today, I think all of India finally saw the rebirth of Yuvraj Singh! Yes, he scored a hundred against the West Indies, and guided India home in tricky situations against Ireland and Netherlands, but the innings he played today was special. He held it together when the team was under the pump. He had been involved in a few terrible mix ups with Gautam Gambhir (one of which finally resulted in his run out), and just as he was getting a partnership going with Mahendra Singh Dhoni, he saw the latter fall.

India needed 89 runs in 15 overs, and in walked Suresh Raina. His inclusion in the side must have been highly debated, after all Yusuf Pathan does bring in the option of another off spinner, but I think Raina’s ability in the field and the fact that he has a slightly more rational head on his shoulders (PLUS the fact that he plays with Dhoni for CSK) was what played in his favour—and boy did he come to the party! 34 vital runs at an extremely brisk pace, when the hopes of the country were resting on his shoulders—that’s a quality of a champion! Not to forget the role of Yuvraj. He guided Raina through an initially tough period, after which both left handers let loose. Shaun Tait helped the Indian cause with a few wayward deliveries. In the span of 3 overs (40 to 42), the match had turned in favour of the home side. The crowd that had been stunned into silence just a few minutes before, was on its feet again, cheering every run that was scored.

Ricky Ponting was found squatting on the ground with a puzzled expression on his face. Effectively he seemed to be playing with only 3 bowlers (Lee, Johnson and Watson) who could control the situation AND looked threatening. The ‘Wild Thing’ (Tait), who was a revelation in the previous edition of the World Cup, had let him down for the 7th consecutive time in the tournament (despite getting the wicket of Tendulkar); Kezja bowled way too short in his first spell on a wicket that seemed to suit the spinners. He bowled better when he came back towards the end of the game, but by then Australia was merely going through the motions.
India has been criticized throughout this tournament for not using the batting power play effectively. Today, I think they couldn’t have used it better! The first ball of the batting power play was smashed over the long on boundary for 6—Suresh Raina again! They batted sensibly during, not only the power play, but throughout that period of play when the team was under pressure.

Yuvraj has found his touch again—the kind of form that he had against Pakistan in 2005-06, when he played the role of India’s ‘finisher’ along with MS Dhoni. He played his part perfectly in that series, and is doing an exceptional job in this tournament as well. He’s been India’s ‘go to’ man in all situations, with bat and ball—and he’s responded superbly to the added responsibility of filling the role as India’s 5th bowler (which is no more an area of concern; I honestly think the cause of concern is the fourth bowler)!

Kudos to both Yuvraj and Raina for guiding the Blue Brigade through to the semi-final, but it’s important that the Prince keeps his focus and plays with the same ‘purpose’ he has so far in this tournament.

Comments

  1. nicely written..
    the added advantage that raina had(the one you mentioned) should have hepled ashwin play in the team without any selector's interference..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another nice blog... You should become a commentator or something... lol...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How South Africa saved my life

Have you ever felt such an attachment to a team that you live and breathe their results? Have you ever become so invested in their success that every move of each one of their players becomes something you track — simply because? Have you rearranged your routine to make sure you’re able to watch said team? And has this team’s success sometimes lifted you from the depths of darkness? If you’re a sports fan, I bet your answer is yes. Sport is like that… it draws us in, wraps us tightly in its grip, and before we know it, there’s no escape. Often, there’s no logical explanation as to why you love a certain team. It could be a loyalty that is passed down through generations, a connection that grew when your favourite player joined them, a fascination that began due to an obsession with their jersey (you know who you are!) or something even more bizarre. Today, I’m telling my story of a sports team that saved my life… Dramatic, I know, but hey, it’s my story. This is a team to which I will

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous

A fire I hope will never be extinguished

Here's something i wrote a couple of years ago when i had to take a break from playing because of my 12th class board exams... I stare at my books… Try to read… ‘Supply is directly proportional to the price of a commodity’… It doesn’t register. I continue to read… ‘Law of supply states the relationship…’- it still doesn’t register. I shake myself, jump around and sit down again, hoping it made a difference, but knowing deep down that nothing can change the way I feel. “Give it one more shot”, I tell myself. For the twenty-third time I open my Economics book hoping I will finally understand ‘the law of supply’ and all that’s related to it, and for the twenty-third time in a row, I fail. “Why?” I ask myself. “Why can’t you concentrate? Even for five minutes.” “You’re disturbed”, my mind tells me, “and you know that.” Finally I give in. I accept defeat. Yes, I am disturbed, but it’s just because and essential part of my life seems to be missing. “SEEMS to be?” I question angrily