Skip to main content

When the ball began to roll...

Like most Indian children, I grew up in a household where cricket was one of the most talked about subjects-- this though, only after i was 7! Till then I had been locked away in the cricket-free country of the United States of America. I spent four years in that country, playing almost all the sports it had to offer, but never hearing the word "cricket" (apart from the insect, of course).

Almost as soon as we returned to India, the wave of euphoria surrounding the sport hit me unawares. As a 7 year old, who had no idea that a sport could become a religion in a country as large as India, it was rather scary. I took a while to adjust to it, but like most other Indians, I took to the game quickly. With a lot of help from my grandfather ('Thatha'- my mother's father), i picked up on the various rules of the sport and before I knew it, cricket had become an important part of my life.
I started off playing on the terrace with my father and a tennis ball. We had the usual "one bounce, one hand catch- out" rule. (I suppose that's when I learned how to play with 'soft hands'; only at that time I didn't know that such a style of play would help me in my "professional" career). There was also the "hit outside full toss- out" rule. (This rule also benefited me by teaching to keep the ball down). It was a challenge to face my father's (Appa) off- spin. I was faced with a dilemma- I couldn't bat like Adam Gilchrist, or else I'd get out (to the second rule), and if I were as defensive as Mike Atherton or Mark Richardson, Appa would sooner or later get the better of me; so I decided to adopt a more Steve Waugh/ Nasser Hussain approach where I would just work the ball around and when the 'loose ball came' (usually a full toss or a half volley) I'd smash it with all my might (along the ground).
Believe it or not, another thing I learned while playing cricket on the terrace, was to dive! Yes, I dived on a concrete terrace, not worried about how badly I might get hurt or even that i could break a few bones! It didn't matter to me. Not one bit! All I cared about was that I was diving and therefore "Jonty Rhodes would be proud of me!"-- that's how naive I was.
The shift from terrace cricket to a real coaching camp came in the year 2004. It was a big change, but one I welcomed wholeheartedly. At that point there was nothing that I wanted to do more than play cricket; and I can proudly say that to this day- it remains the same...

Comments

  1. nice one... want to read more... looks like you enjoy cricket very much... is it your religion too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved reading it! Don't keep us waiting too long for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Annaya , I read it only today, May all your wishes come true

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Ananya, i liked what you have written...keep up all the good work...writing and cricket

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds so familiar..real nice post!!loved it..

    ReplyDelete
  6. most of us (women cricketers) started in a similar way...nice post...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How South Africa saved my life

Have you ever felt such an attachment to a team that you live and breathe their results? Have you ever become so invested in their success that every move of each one of their players becomes something you track — simply because? Have you rearranged your routine to make sure you’re able to watch said team? And has this team’s success sometimes lifted you from the depths of darkness? If you’re a sports fan, I bet your answer is yes. Sport is like that… it draws us in, wraps us tightly in its grip, and before we know it, there’s no escape. Often, there’s no logical explanation as to why you love a certain team. It could be a loyalty that is passed down through generations, a connection that grew when your favourite player joined them, a fascination that began due to an obsession with their jersey (you know who you are!) or something even more bizarre. Today, I’m telling my story of a sports team that saved my life… Dramatic, I know, but hey, it’s my story. This is a team to which I will

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous

A fire I hope will never be extinguished

Here's something i wrote a couple of years ago when i had to take a break from playing because of my 12th class board exams... I stare at my books… Try to read… ‘Supply is directly proportional to the price of a commodity’… It doesn’t register. I continue to read… ‘Law of supply states the relationship…’- it still doesn’t register. I shake myself, jump around and sit down again, hoping it made a difference, but knowing deep down that nothing can change the way I feel. “Give it one more shot”, I tell myself. For the twenty-third time I open my Economics book hoping I will finally understand ‘the law of supply’ and all that’s related to it, and for the twenty-third time in a row, I fail. “Why?” I ask myself. “Why can’t you concentrate? Even for five minutes.” “You’re disturbed”, my mind tells me, “and you know that.” Finally I give in. I accept defeat. Yes, I am disturbed, but it’s just because and essential part of my life seems to be missing. “SEEMS to be?” I question angrily