Skip to main content

The partnership that started it off...

Ever Sunday, at the Keyes High School Cricket Camp, two ‘special’ things happened.
  1. We would play a practice match (that varied between 25 to 40 overs),  
  2. Mithali Raj (former Indian captain/ India’s highest run scorer in ODI’s) and Nooshin-al-Khadeer (India’s off spinner/ third highest wicket taker in ODI’s for India) would play with us!
This was one of those Sundays. We were going to play a 40 over match and I was picked in Mithali di’s team. I was slated to bat at No.3 (if a wicket fell in the first 8 overs); otherwise I’d walk in at No.5 after the likes of Sravanthi Naidu, Sowjanya Nath and M.Shalini.
Mithali di and Aruna were all set to open the innings, and almost immediately, I began to pray that Aruna would get out in the first 5 overs—and guess what, she fell off the 5th ball of the first over! I was excited...Couldn’t hide my smile, even though the team had gotten off to a bad start. My dream had come true. (Well, at least partially—I was batting with MITAHLI RAJ at the age of 14)! I walked in quite confidently. The only thing she said to me was, “Play straight and run hard.” I faced my first ball from Nikitha and played a flawless cover-drive- straight into the hands of cover. Not a bad start!
Between the overs Nooshin di walked up to us and said (to me), “You’re batting with Mithali, must be a dream come true. Good luck!” She patted me on the head and walked off to mid-wicket… Mithali di and I stitched together an unbroken 168 run stand- she was unbeaten on 103, while I was on 47! It was rather surreal. Every time we had a mid-wicket conference she would say the same thing, “Play straight and run hard”, and then we’d do the ‘glove punch’ 3 times (a routine I later developed).
I don’t even remember what I was thinking during that innings; in fact I don’t even think I was thinking at all. I was just so happy to be batting with her. It was like everything else just came naturally. Of course, when you’re batting with someone of her class you never really match up to their standard, but that day I felt like I could pull off anything.
It’s amazing how things always seem to go your way when you start something new. I guess that’s why they call it beginner’s luck! 4 years after that particular partnership, I batted with Mithali di again. We had a 50 run partnership, in which I only scored 5! I didn’t have much luck that day, but I’ll cherish the text Nooshin di sent me that evening. It said, “Well played! At that stage we needed you to play like that. Continue the good work tomorrow as well.” – Ironically I was out off the 5th ball the next morning!  (We were playing a 2 day game and I was sent in ahead of Sowjanya and Nooshin di as ‘night watchman’).
These were big steps in my ‘career’. They were huge learning experiences. Just watching Mithali di bat from the non-strikers end was amazing… I had the best seat in the house, and I’m quite thrilled that on both occasions I didn’t let go of it easily!
People are right when they say you learn a lot by just watching. That was certainly the case with me… Mithali Raj taught me a lot simply by being Mithali Raj, the class act; and I can’t thank her enough for guiding me through that partnership (“Play straight and run hard.”)- One that kick-started my career!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How South Africa saved my life

Have you ever felt such an attachment to a team that you live and breathe their results? Have you ever become so invested in their success that every move of each one of their players becomes something you track — simply because? Have you rearranged your routine to make sure you’re able to watch said team? And has this team’s success sometimes lifted you from the depths of darkness? If you’re a sports fan, I bet your answer is yes. Sport is like that… it draws us in, wraps us tightly in its grip, and before we know it, there’s no escape. Often, there’s no logical explanation as to why you love a certain team. It could be a loyalty that is passed down through generations, a connection that grew when your favourite player joined them, a fascination that began due to an obsession with their jersey (you know who you are!) or something even more bizarre. Today, I’m telling my story of a sports team that saved my life… Dramatic, I know, but hey, it’s my story. This is a team to which I will

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous

A fire I hope will never be extinguished

Here's something i wrote a couple of years ago when i had to take a break from playing because of my 12th class board exams... I stare at my books… Try to read… ‘Supply is directly proportional to the price of a commodity’… It doesn’t register. I continue to read… ‘Law of supply states the relationship…’- it still doesn’t register. I shake myself, jump around and sit down again, hoping it made a difference, but knowing deep down that nothing can change the way I feel. “Give it one more shot”, I tell myself. For the twenty-third time I open my Economics book hoping I will finally understand ‘the law of supply’ and all that’s related to it, and for the twenty-third time in a row, I fail. “Why?” I ask myself. “Why can’t you concentrate? Even for five minutes.” “You’re disturbed”, my mind tells me, “and you know that.” Finally I give in. I accept defeat. Yes, I am disturbed, but it’s just because and essential part of my life seems to be missing. “SEEMS to be?” I question angrily