Skip to main content

The best match i've ever played

October 16, 2008—Hyderabad U-19 v/s Andhra U-19-- it was one of the most amazing matches I’ve played in my career so far. It had its share of ups and downs, and the match was in itself was a roller coaster ride.

Leading up to the match, we had won only 2 out of our four previous games, which meant we were out of contention for a place in the All India nationals. We had come back strongly after losing our first two matches, by beating Tamil Nadu and Goa quite comprehensively. The team had shown a lot of character to come back the way it did. We proved to everyone that we were no pushovers, that we’d give them a run for their money.

That side had players who in a couple of years became match-winners, but were at that stage ‘bachas’ (as they all like to call themselves). We had only one real ‘established’ player in the side, and that was captain/ wicket-keeper, Sindhuja Reddy. Sindhu was an extremely good captain. She had the ability to get the best out of her players, no matter what the situation was—that’s something that I think all of us loved about her. On the field, she usually kept her emotions in check, but during the match against Andhra, it seemed as if things were coming apart. I can gladly say that as a team, we picked her up and pulled her through.
Not that I’ve played under many captains, but Sindhu was up there with the best! She was one that had a lot of faith and me, and I’m glad to say that I had one of my best all-round tournaments under her.

“Hyderabad v/s Andhra, 16 October, 2008.
Police Training Centre (PTC) Grounds, Anantapur.

Hyderabad won the toss and elected to bat.

Nidhi Torvi and Gayatri Sripathi, our successful opening pair, gave us a fairly good start on a nice flat deck at PTC. Just when Gayatri looked like she had settled down, she was caught and bowled by Salma Banu for 1. Anusha replaced her and looked in pretty good touch. It seemed like boundaries were flowing from her bat at will, but Salma got into the act again and Anusha was bowled for 14. With the score at 54/2 in 14.3 overs, I joined Nidhi. We began to string together a good partnership; our strokes were good and so was the running between the wickets. I continued my steady run with the bat, punishing the loose balls that came my way. We kept the scoreboard moving, as Nidhi raised the (team’s) hundred with a superb lofted shot over mid-on. She (Nidhi) was going along nicely, but on 47, just after the second drinks break, she tried to heave the ball over mid-wicket, and was clean bowled. Hyderabad was in a fairly comfortable position at 104/3 when captain Sindhuja Reddy walked in. She too continued where she left off against Goa (she had scored 65). Together we began to milk the Andhra bowlers. We took the score to 126, when I top edged a pull shot off Shilpa Chandran and was caught at mid-wicket by Lavanya for 37. Sindhuja (31), Jhansi (14), Nikitha (8*), Kavya (5) and Praneesha (2*) all contributed to push our score to 185/8 in 50 overs.

Andhra was the only unbeaten team in the tournament, and we were determined to end their run. Nidhi Torvi and I opened the bowling and gave the openers, Mounica Sai and Kavitha, a hard time in conditions that had suddenly changed and become bowler-friendly! With the score at 19, Kavitha fell to Nidhi as Sindhuja completed a fairly easy catch behind the wicket. Soon enough, Mounica followed her partner and was bowled by an out-swinger that pitched on middle and clipped the top of off stump! (A delivery that I haven’t been able to bowl since)! In came Salma to join Hima Bindu—and out we went, for it began to pour.

Half an hour later we were back on the field and Andhra was given a revised target of 147 in 35 overs. In 10 overs they were 32/2 with Salma and Bindu at the crease. Sowmya and Anusha resumed the action. Sowmya got Salma stumped in her second over and in walked Shilpa Chandra. She nicked her very first delivery, but was put down by Sindhuja. A costly drop? Most probably… The Andhra players were under immense pressure, so they began to run for almost every shot they played. Our fielders developed sweaty palms and began to juggle the ball. Finally, with some brilliant work from Jhansi (at point), Shilpa was run out and a couple of balls later, Kavya got captain Rama Devi run out as well. The Hyderabad fielders were back at their best and seemed up for the challenge. In walked Priyanka and she began to take toll on Kavya. Bindu too, looked determined to seal the deal in Andhra’s favour. Off-spinner, Promita Sengupta was brought into the attack and she struck immediately—Priyanka was caught at mid-wicket by me! She played a flat sweep (right out of the middle) and I dived to my right and plucked it out of the air to complete the catch. At 91/6 the match was not over by any means. Divya joined Bindu and the two left-handers began to play some aggressive cricket- not afraid to take the aerial route, and running hard between the wickets. Bindu, in particular, looked in complete control of the situation and threatened to take the match away from us. It was then that Sindhuja Reddy made an inspired field change- she placed me at straight-ish deep mid-wicket (the area where Bindu was getting most of her runs), thus plugging the gap. The very next ball, Bindu played an aerial shot in my direction, right between Gayatri and me. I sprinted 20m and dived forward to pull off the catch! (Everything seemed to be happening in slow motion to me—almost Bollywood film-like)! Sowmya stepped in and had Divya caught at covers by Nikitha who took a beautiful low catch… 133/8… Lavanya and Sudha Rani—two new batters at the crease in the space of over—we were back in it! Sudha Rani then tapped the ball straight to me and set off for a tight single, but I managed to race her to the stumps… 134/9… Andhra needed 13 runs off the over. Kavya kept her cool and bowled beautifully. She gave four runs in the first three deliveries… Lavanya was looking for the big shot, but all she could do was smash the ball straight back to Kavya and set off… Kavya stayed calm, and flicked the bails off (the stumps)—Lavanya was run out… Andhra was all out for 139! We had pulled off a fantastic win!”

This is one of those moments in my career that I wish I could relive. It was definitely the most exciting match I’ve been part of, and to have been in the thick of things was what made it so much better!  

Comments

  1. Ananya:) I want to see you play someday! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You never told me it was so exciting! lol. Never been a part of such an exciting match. Actually, goa was. Seniors. AOC ground. And I got many balls at deep mid wicket. Diving and all. Twas fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and the biggest moment is not too far away! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How South Africa saved my life

Have you ever felt such an attachment to a team that you live and breathe their results? Have you ever become so invested in their success that every move of each one of their players becomes something you track — simply because? Have you rearranged your routine to make sure you’re able to watch said team? And has this team’s success sometimes lifted you from the depths of darkness? If you’re a sports fan, I bet your answer is yes. Sport is like that… it draws us in, wraps us tightly in its grip, and before we know it, there’s no escape. Often, there’s no logical explanation as to why you love a certain team. It could be a loyalty that is passed down through generations, a connection that grew when your favourite player joined them, a fascination that began due to an obsession with their jersey (you know who you are!) or something even more bizarre. Today, I’m telling my story of a sports team that saved my life… Dramatic, I know, but hey, it’s my story. This is a team to which I will

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous

A fire I hope will never be extinguished

Here's something i wrote a couple of years ago when i had to take a break from playing because of my 12th class board exams... I stare at my books… Try to read… ‘Supply is directly proportional to the price of a commodity’… It doesn’t register. I continue to read… ‘Law of supply states the relationship…’- it still doesn’t register. I shake myself, jump around and sit down again, hoping it made a difference, but knowing deep down that nothing can change the way I feel. “Give it one more shot”, I tell myself. For the twenty-third time I open my Economics book hoping I will finally understand ‘the law of supply’ and all that’s related to it, and for the twenty-third time in a row, I fail. “Why?” I ask myself. “Why can’t you concentrate? Even for five minutes.” “You’re disturbed”, my mind tells me, “and you know that.” Finally I give in. I accept defeat. Yes, I am disturbed, but it’s just because and essential part of my life seems to be missing. “SEEMS to be?” I question angrily