Skip to main content

Niranjana Nagarajan's comeback quest

Over the last five domestic tournaments, spread across three seasons, Niranjana Nagarajan has scored over 800 runs and taken more than 35 wickets. In 2019-20, she registered her maiden T20 century when opening the batting against Mizoram. In 2020-21, she finished as the highest wicket-taker among the seamers with 14 scalps. In 2021-22, she grabbed her second List-A six-for, ripping through Uttarakhand’s line-up to finish with figures of 6 for 37 – the second-best figures in the season, and the best by a pacer. Every year, her knocks on the selectors’ door have become progressively louder, but so far, they have been ignored.

At 34, Niranjana, a pace bowling allrounder from Tamil Nadu, is no spring chicken. She last played for India in 2016; she last featured in a Challenger Trophy in 2016-17; and the last time she played at a ‘higher’ level than the state team was in 2018 – the last inter-zonal tournament in Trivandrum. If you were a betting person, you may be hesitant to bet on a comeback. Yet, speak to Niranjana, and there is an undying belief that comes through in her voice: a determination and willingness to swim against the tide in order to reach her destination. You may even finish the conversation emboldened to part with your money.

“I truly believe I can still open the bowling for India and I can still bat for India. I have that self-belief in me,” Niranjana told me at the close of last season. “I’m just in the mode of doing what it takes to come back into the limelight and the national side again. I’m still playing only because I want to get there again. The passion has not reduced even a bit. I don’t know what the selectors think, but my duty is only to perform and get them to consider me.” 

Embed from Getty Images

Between 2008 and 2016, Niranjana played two Tests, 22 ODIs and 14 T20Is for India. Her early career was interrupted by injury and illness which meant she rarely got consistent game-time at the top level. But even in her limited chances, the right-arm seamer, showcased flashes of brilliance: none more memorable than her four-fer against England in a historic Test match win at Wormsley in 2014. She was, however, unable to build on that promise, shuffled in and out of the XI before being left out entirely, but those experiences have helped her develop the steely resolve that defines her years later.

“One thing which I learnt being a sportsperson is that you have to be very tough in your mind. The graph keeps changing: if it goes up it has to come down and if it comes down it has to go up again. But, of course, coming up depends on how you are putting in efforts – your work ethic and all that.”

“I understand that to make a comeback a normal performance is not enough. You have to show them performances where you are noticed. I thought somewhere in Pune (one-day tournament) I did that, but sometimes you have to be prepared to fight more. Probably what I have done so far is not enough – I have to do more; I have to be extraordinary. That is something I am aiming to do this time.” 

(credit: Niranjana Nagarajan/ Instagram)

In her attempt to return to the Indian squad, Niranjana has left no stone unturned. Always seen as a talented allrounder – gifted with a sense of timing with the bat, and a strong, sturdy frame that allowed her to bowl a heavy ball and extract bounce from the pitch – the Tamil Nadu stalwart has, in recent times, found an extra gear with her training. There is purpose in everything she does, whether on or off the field. Her regime is properly planned out, with each session having a particular focus, and her diet has changed drastically– gluten free, lactose free and a reduced intake of carbohydrates.

“I want to improve every day – that’s how I go about all my practice sessions. In fact, I plan my sessions in terms of how it should be, what I need to work on, and even my training sessions and I am well guided by my trainer. It’s all very well thought out – focused on what we want to achieve. Every small thing is planned in detail.

“I’ve always prepared with the same intensity for each tournament. But more recently, I’m trying to work a lot harder on my physique. Like, you know I’ve been with a dietician; I’ve been more conscious about my eating habits and how my intake impacts me.

“See, I am basically a foodie – I won’t shy away from saying that! I love food,” she laughed. “I had to cut down on so many things, and found it difficult for the first 10 days or so. Everything had restrictions on it. But then I got used to it. So, if I am cutting down on something which I love the most, it should tell you what it actually means to me to get back to the higher level again.”

Those new habits are a far cry from the younger Niranjana – the raw, rugged allrounder who “ate whatever she saw”.

Embed from Getty Images

“As you grow older, you understand the importance of all these small things. When I was younger, maybe, there was no one to tell me about being conscious of my diet and all, but to be honest, this mindful eating has completely changed me as a person and a player. I am more confident of what I am doing on the field and that I can keep that intensity for longer periods.”

Having failed to make any of the Challenger Trophy teams despite promising numbers in 2021-22, Niranjana used the hurt and frustration to further fuel her fire. She is determined to put in performances that will help her smash down the door.

Fitter, leaner, stronger, smarter, and driven by an undying belief, Niranjana is prepared to make a splash for Tamil Nadu in the Women’s Senior T20 tournament that marks the start of the 2022-23 season. Grouped alongside defending champions Railways, Goa, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Bihar, Jammu & Kashmir and Arunachal Pradesh, the side will kick off their campaign in Guwahati on Tuesday (October 11).

With a T20 World Cup and a potential Women’s IPL looming, Niranjana has plenty to aim for. The odds may be against her, but if anyone has the passion, zeal and innate desire to overcome them, it is the chest thumping, fist-pumping, ground beating, roaring, passionate fast-bowling allrounder that is Niranjana Nagarajan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How South Africa saved my life

Have you ever felt such an attachment to a team that you live and breathe their results? Have you ever become so invested in their success that every move of each one of their players becomes something you track — simply because? Have you rearranged your routine to make sure you’re able to watch said team? And has this team’s success sometimes lifted you from the depths of darkness? If you’re a sports fan, I bet your answer is yes. Sport is like that… it draws us in, wraps us tightly in its grip, and before we know it, there’s no escape. Often, there’s no logical explanation as to why you love a certain team. It could be a loyalty that is passed down through generations, a connection that grew when your favourite player joined them, a fascination that began due to an obsession with their jersey (you know who you are!) or something even more bizarre. Today, I’m telling my story of a sports team that saved my life… Dramatic, I know, but hey, it’s my story. This is a team to which I will

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous

A fire I hope will never be extinguished

Here's something i wrote a couple of years ago when i had to take a break from playing because of my 12th class board exams... I stare at my books… Try to read… ‘Supply is directly proportional to the price of a commodity’… It doesn’t register. I continue to read… ‘Law of supply states the relationship…’- it still doesn’t register. I shake myself, jump around and sit down again, hoping it made a difference, but knowing deep down that nothing can change the way I feel. “Give it one more shot”, I tell myself. For the twenty-third time I open my Economics book hoping I will finally understand ‘the law of supply’ and all that’s related to it, and for the twenty-third time in a row, I fail. “Why?” I ask myself. “Why can’t you concentrate? Even for five minutes.” “You’re disturbed”, my mind tells me, “and you know that.” Finally I give in. I accept defeat. Yes, I am disturbed, but it’s just because and essential part of my life seems to be missing. “SEEMS to be?” I question angrily