Skip to main content

From understudy to lead actor: Suné Luus' transformation


Sune Luus prepares to lead her team into the field (Getty Images)

An edited version of this article was originally published on gsport

Suné Luus has performed multiple roles for South Africa.

At 16, she became an international cricketer. At 18, she was one of their premier spinners. At 20, she was their opening batter. At 21, she had her first taste of captaincy. At 22, she had been reassigned the role of ‘finisher’. At 23, she was dropped. By 24, she had re-established herself as one of the side’s top allrounders. And now, at 26, she is leading her country in the 2022 ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup.

“There’s a quote (by Neale Donald Walsch) that goes ‘Life begins at the end of your comfort zone’. I really like that quote; it is something I live by,” a 21-year-old Luus had told ICC in 2017.

Over the last three years, Luus has been pushed firmly out of her comfort zone. In early 2019, she went from being dropped, to making a comeback and being thrust into a leadership position, all in the space of three weeks. It was the start of a whirlwind period that would see her captain South Africa against Sri Lanka and Pakistan at home, and on a tough tour to India.

South Africa managed to dominate in their own backyard, but the series against India was far from easy. The Proteas were thrashed, managing only one win in seven LOIs. Through the tour, Luus appeared hesitant when making on-field decisions, clearly short on captaincy experience. But despite the difficulties she took plenty of valuable lessons from that trip.

“I have learned patience,” she told gsport at the time. “You are not always going to go home with a win. You’ve got to be patient with yourself and with your teammates.”

Regular skipper Dané van Niekerk’s return to the setup later that year meant Luus took a back seat again, focusing on her own game leading into the 2020 T20 World Cup in Australia.

Following the heartbreak of that tournament semi-final and an extended COVID-19 enforced break, South Africa returned to the international stage in early 2021. Luus was their skipper again; filling in for van Niekerk while she recuperated from injury. It wasn’t her spot to make her own. She was merely keeping the chair warm for van Niekerk’s return…

Twelve months on, it seems 2021 served as Luus’ practice run for things to come.

***
When Luus came to India in 2019, she appeared to be a rather reluctant captain. There was thought behind every statement she made, but that clarity of thought rarely correlated with the happenings on the field.

That sense of confusion reflected in some muddled bowling changes, hesitant chats with senior bowlers, a tendency to often second-guess herself and her own reluctance to bowl. Moments of pressure often saw frantic conversations with a group of senior players, and what resulted was often more confusion.

In a team with some very senior players, a couple of whom are mavericks, on the field it looked like Luus, even as captain, was slightly low down the pecking order. On paper, she was meant to be in charge, but how could she make a mark on a team that was only temporarily ‘hers’? How could she influence a group with so many strong personalities around? For a long while, those were the questions Luus seemed to be grappling with.

Back in charge in 2021, Luus led South Africa to a series win over Pakistan at home, and followed it up with a remarkable double series win over in India. She appeared calmer, and more sure of herself, in control of the conversations she was having and the decisions she was making. South Africa dominated the same star-studded Indian team that had crushed them only 18 months ago, and key to that turnaround was a more confident captain… With every passing game, it seemed Luus was able to better understand her identity as a leader.

Luus plays a delightful cover drive. (ICC/ Getty Images)

That confidence in herself and her own style reflects in the way Luus now speaks about her role. There is an understanding that van Niekerk is still the ultimate leader of the side, but while she is wearing that captain’s armband, Suné Luus will bring her own unique style.

“Obviously, I have big shoes to fill with Dane. She's obviously a very good player and a good captain as well. But I think for me it's kind of just to make it my own. You can't really be like the person next to you. You've got to do what's right for you and what you feel you need to do. So, I think that’s just what I've been doing over the past couple of times that I’ve been given the honour to captain. I've just been putting my own spin on it and trying to do things my way as well,” she said in the pre-tournament press-conference.

“I think I just try and stay as calm as I can. I think that really helps the team and that really just gives them the confidence to just back their skill and do what they can and to know that we trust them and I trust them with whatever they are doing. Just to stay as calm as possible and take it one ball at a time.”

***
Since the start of her career, Luus has served as van Niekerk’s understudy – first as a leg-spinner and now as skipper. The 26-year-old was never really meant to take centrestage this early, but when has life ever followed the perfect script?

It’s Thursday (March 31). South Africa are in the final four of the 2022 ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup and are set to take on England at the Hagley Oval in Christchurch in a repeat of the 2017 semi-final. They have a real opportunity to “make history” in a tournament they have been preparing for for five years now. At the centre of that campaign has been Luus, the batter and the captain. 

Five wins in seven matches, a place in the semi-final, 249 runs with three fifties, and now in her 100th ODI; Luus is finally ready to emerge from van Niekerk’s shadow.

An edited version of this article was originally published on gsport

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How South Africa saved my life

Have you ever felt such an attachment to a team that you live and breathe their results? Have you ever become so invested in their success that every move of each one of their players becomes something you track — simply because? Have you rearranged your routine to make sure you’re able to watch said team? And has this team’s success sometimes lifted you from the depths of darkness? If you’re a sports fan, I bet your answer is yes. Sport is like that… it draws us in, wraps us tightly in its grip, and before we know it, there’s no escape. Often, there’s no logical explanation as to why you love a certain team. It could be a loyalty that is passed down through generations, a connection that grew when your favourite player joined them, a fascination that began due to an obsession with their jersey (you know who you are!) or something even more bizarre. Today, I’m telling my story of a sports team that saved my life… Dramatic, I know, but hey, it’s my story. This is a team to which I will

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous

A fire I hope will never be extinguished

Here's something i wrote a couple of years ago when i had to take a break from playing because of my 12th class board exams... I stare at my books… Try to read… ‘Supply is directly proportional to the price of a commodity’… It doesn’t register. I continue to read… ‘Law of supply states the relationship…’- it still doesn’t register. I shake myself, jump around and sit down again, hoping it made a difference, but knowing deep down that nothing can change the way I feel. “Give it one more shot”, I tell myself. For the twenty-third time I open my Economics book hoping I will finally understand ‘the law of supply’ and all that’s related to it, and for the twenty-third time in a row, I fail. “Why?” I ask myself. “Why can’t you concentrate? Even for five minutes.” “You’re disturbed”, my mind tells me, “and you know that.” Finally I give in. I accept defeat. Yes, I am disturbed, but it’s just because and essential part of my life seems to be missing. “SEEMS to be?” I question angrily