Skip to main content

Mignon du Preez - forever Captain Fantastic


(Originally published on June 22, 2016 on the Wisden India website).

It’s one thing to read about players’ insecurities and listen to their stories, but it’s quite another to actually see their struggles, however briefly, in person. 

I met Mignon du Preez once. For precisely 22 minutes. Despite South Africa’s disappointing campaign in the ICC Women’s World Twenty20 2016, she was smiling, upbeat and more than willing to have a chat. Never in my wildest dreams did I think meeting her would have a big impact on me. After all, since when have medium pacers idolised batters?

 It’s funny how, sometimes, the shortest interactions can have the deepest effects on people. For me, that moment came on March 29, 2016 at around 4pm at a hotel in Bangalore. I was there to interview du Preez, the then South African captain, a day after her team’s last league match against Sri Lanka Women in the tournament. 

It was one of my first interviews as a journalist with an international cricketer. I was excited and a little nervous too. After all, here was someone who had scored a double hundred in a 40-over match as a teenager, a century on Test debut, led her team to its first semifinal in a world tournament only two years ago ... and was arguably one of the best fielders in her team. What’s not to be nervous about? 

Quick clarification before I go any further: Mignon du Preez was never my idol. She was never a player I looked up to. She wasn’t someone I modelled my game on or aimed to emulate. She wasn’t even someone I saw much of till South Africa toured India in 2014. 

I had, of course, heard a great deal about her and was looking forward to watching her team play in the World T20. South Africa had risen quickly through the ranks and their captain had played a massive role in the ascent. Series victories against India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and West Indies meant South Africa were certainly dark horses coming into the tournament. But three losses against Australia, New Zealand and Sri Lanka meant they were knocked out in the league stage to end a poor campaign. 



Losses often come with disappointment and frustration, but as is the South African way, du Preez always found a ray of hope. The smile never left her face and the belief never left her voice. 
I fell in love with the du Preez of the press conferences. She was gracious, positive, hopeful and brutally honest. She accepted responsibility for her team’s performances, and did not shy away from the fact that she, personally, needed to lift her game if South Africa were to put up better performances. She instantly became someone I wanted to be like. All of a sudden, du Preez became my hero. 

I can’t imagine going through a tournament with scores of 12*, 13, 10, and 0, having my team lose and still answer (some ridiculous) questions with a smile. I was having a tough time myself, dealing with a rather disappointing domestic season after the highs of the preceding one, and was searching for some inspiration. As it happened, du Preez provided just that. 

She looked at the bright spots, all the good things that had happened — Sune Luus’s five-for against Ireland, Shabnim Ismail’s fiery spell against Australia, her “world-class” bowling attack, and the rise of Dane van Niekerk and Trisha Chetty as a dependable opening pair. 

She spoke of things like individual improvement, team goals, the battles she fought as a player, and what her team has to look forward to. Her thoughts, beliefs and choices as a leader appealed to me. There was a vulnerability in her eyes that allowed me to connect with her. She may have been a star, but she was human after all. 

In those 22 minutes, she became the kind of player and leader I wanted to be. In 22 minutes she turned things around and inspired me to continue to work hard in pursuit of my dreams. By the end of the conversation, South Africa's jersey no. 22, Mignon du Preez, had become my hero. 

A sportsperson’s career is bound to be full of ups and downs. There are going to be times when you are struggling and not in the best of mindframes. Those are the hardest times. To have to face the media in those situations can only make things worse. 

But du Preez was special. 

On the field, she was still the best, even claiming what I believe was the catch of the women’s tournament to dismiss Suzie Bates. She was sharp with her fielding and bowling changes. With the bat, she looked all at sea against the spinners — pretty much a sitting duck — but you could tell there was still some fight left in her. 

Back then, I had absolutely no idea that du Preez had any thoughts of stepping down as captain. From everything she said that day, it seemed like she was in all truth the leader of the South African team. She had a clear vision and goal and backed her players to the hilt. 

The decision took me by surprise. It’s obviously something she has thought long and hard about. Maybe it’s for the best. Maybe in Dane van Niekerk, South Africa will find the inspiration they dearly need. Maybe, with the weight off her shoulders, du Preez will be able to showcase her true potential. 

Comments

  1. What a comeback ma'am . This is one of your best. No comparison with your other works, but you are just so you when you write here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How South Africa saved my life

Have you ever felt such an attachment to a team that you live and breathe their results? Have you ever become so invested in their success that every move of each one of their players becomes something you track — simply because? Have you rearranged your routine to make sure you’re able to watch said team? And has this team’s success sometimes lifted you from the depths of darkness? If you’re a sports fan, I bet your answer is yes. Sport is like that… it draws us in, wraps us tightly in its grip, and before we know it, there’s no escape. Often, there’s no logical explanation as to why you love a certain team. It could be a loyalty that is passed down through generations, a connection that grew when your favourite player joined them, a fascination that began due to an obsession with their jersey (you know who you are!) or something even more bizarre. Today, I’m telling my story of a sports team that saved my life… Dramatic, I know, but hey, it’s my story. This is a team to which I will

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous

A fire I hope will never be extinguished

Here's something i wrote a couple of years ago when i had to take a break from playing because of my 12th class board exams... I stare at my books… Try to read… ‘Supply is directly proportional to the price of a commodity’… It doesn’t register. I continue to read… ‘Law of supply states the relationship…’- it still doesn’t register. I shake myself, jump around and sit down again, hoping it made a difference, but knowing deep down that nothing can change the way I feel. “Give it one more shot”, I tell myself. For the twenty-third time I open my Economics book hoping I will finally understand ‘the law of supply’ and all that’s related to it, and for the twenty-third time in a row, I fail. “Why?” I ask myself. “Why can’t you concentrate? Even for five minutes.” “You’re disturbed”, my mind tells me, “and you know that.” Finally I give in. I accept defeat. Yes, I am disturbed, but it’s just because and essential part of my life seems to be missing. “SEEMS to be?” I question angrily