Skip to main content

Day 1: Life on the other side of the boundary

I was nervous as I climbed up the stairs. It was barely 1.40 pm and the match was only due to start at 3 pm. Why do I always have to be so early? I don't even know what I am doing here... What I am supposed to do? I reach the second floor and see someone who looks as unsure as I do-- I smile nervously at her, and she nods back, I continue to climb slowly.

Just one more floor, and I will be there... I get there and see a small sign that says 'media' centre. The hallway looks a little dark and dingy, not too inviting, but I walk in anyway. I climb a flight of steps after seeing a sign that says 'print media' and walk into this glorious looking glass covered room. The light pours on my face and I see the M Chinnaswamy Stadium in all its glory.

Turns out I'm not the only early bird. I meet a friend inside and we talk a bit before I look to settle down in a better placed chair. I walk down towards the front of the box and watch the teams warm up. I am intently watching the Indian team go through a warm up routine that looks all too familiar... I try and identify each one... 'Mithali di... Veda... Jhulu di... That's Harry with her pink Nike shoes... Shikha and Smriti... I can see Sush with her hair tied up in a bun... Who's that in the floppy hat? Not Deepti, since I already saw her... Too short to be Ninja... I wrack my brains and can't figure out who the player is... She's done stretching, she takes a few steps... That familiar style of walking and immediately I know-- Vanni!!!!

As the Indian team disperses, my attention now turns to Ireland... They are playing football... I can hear the laughter up in the press box... It looks like lots of fun.

Soon enough the match starts, and I am back to my regular routine of writing down all the random things I observe, drawing wagon wheels and generally 'oohing' and 'aahing' as proceedings unfold. My colleague next to me looks at my notebook and laughs a little-- politely of course!



Smriti Mandhana plays a glorious cover drive down the ground and i almost leap in my chair, my colleague laughs again and I say, 'I'm probably not the best person to watch a match with'... She politely says 'It is an interesting experience'... Smriti and Veda smash Ireland around and in the ten minute break I finish writing half my report...

Shikha Pandey takes the new ball for India and strikes straight away. Before I know it Ireland are two down, and I am back to wagon wheel drawing, random observation writing and report updating.

After some brilliant work from Niranjana Nagarajan brings to an end a rather impressive innings from Cath Dalton, the match comes to a quick end. Run outs galore, as Ireland's inexperience shows-- what could have been a close match thanks to Dalton's brilliance, peters out to an expected result-- a comfortable Indian win.

The match is over, players shake hands, my first report sent, a few congratulatory messages received, and I have an hour or so to kill... What to do, what to do?

The front of the press box has a small open area... So I go outside and look at the ground. I stand there, above everyone else and soak it all in... How I would love to be on the other side, playing... I think about the one match I played here... The one I think about everyday when I cross the stadium on my way to work... The only one that really matters... Not my best day, but one I will cherish forever-- that feeling of being superman!

I stand there a little while longer, this time watching Sri Lanka and Bangladesh warm up. I spot Nuwan Zoysa, Sri Lanka's bowling coach, in the distance and mention it to my colleague, Sidhanta Patnaik. The genius story-teller her is, he thinks up a story angle and says we should interview him. We go down and wait for a while searching for the Sri Lankan team manager to ask for permission. I'm standing behind the fence, watching team's practice, and prepare for a match just like I do with my team... What I would give to be on the other side...

Meanwhile the Indian team files in behind me to watch the match. I speak to a few of them and continue to wait... The match begins, but there's no sign of Zoysa so I go back upstairs to start on my second report...

Almost 40 overs and a dinner later, Sri Lanka win after a few hiccups, and report no.2 has been sent in. It's almost 10.30 pm as I pack my bags, take one last look at the ground, and trudge off.

I was dreading it... But not too bad a day for my first, I'd think-- a master-class from Smriti Mandhana, superb cameo from Veda Krishnamurthy, an Oshadi Ranasinghe hat-trick, and a fantastic super over between SL and Bangladesh. Life as a cricket journalist-- what's not to love? Despite all the conflicting thoughts, a lot, I suppose!

Comments

  1. What I would give to be on the other side!!! Lots of people who have played a decent level of cricket have those same emotions.. It's so hard to let go... Nice blog
    - Vinod P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How South Africa saved my life

Have you ever felt such an attachment to a team that you live and breathe their results? Have you ever become so invested in their success that every move of each one of their players becomes something you track — simply because? Have you rearranged your routine to make sure you’re able to watch said team? And has this team’s success sometimes lifted you from the depths of darkness? If you’re a sports fan, I bet your answer is yes. Sport is like that… it draws us in, wraps us tightly in its grip, and before we know it, there’s no escape. Often, there’s no logical explanation as to why you love a certain team. It could be a loyalty that is passed down through generations, a connection that grew when your favourite player joined them, a fascination that began due to an obsession with their jersey (you know who you are!) or something even more bizarre. Today, I’m telling my story of a sports team that saved my life… Dramatic, I know, but hey, it’s my story. This is a team to which I will

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous

A fire I hope will never be extinguished

Here's something i wrote a couple of years ago when i had to take a break from playing because of my 12th class board exams... I stare at my books… Try to read… ‘Supply is directly proportional to the price of a commodity’… It doesn’t register. I continue to read… ‘Law of supply states the relationship…’- it still doesn’t register. I shake myself, jump around and sit down again, hoping it made a difference, but knowing deep down that nothing can change the way I feel. “Give it one more shot”, I tell myself. For the twenty-third time I open my Economics book hoping I will finally understand ‘the law of supply’ and all that’s related to it, and for the twenty-third time in a row, I fail. “Why?” I ask myself. “Why can’t you concentrate? Even for five minutes.” “You’re disturbed”, my mind tells me, “and you know that.” Finally I give in. I accept defeat. Yes, I am disturbed, but it’s just because and essential part of my life seems to be missing. “SEEMS to be?” I question angrily