Skip to main content

2015: A year of transition

Another year, another load of memories dumped in the back of my brain.

2015 was a strange year. I loved most of it, but couldn't wait for it to end as it drew to a close. It was one where I reached some amazing highs and was then brought back to reality rather quickly.

South Zone Senior debut
2015 saw my transition from a student to a ‘working individual’. I went from living in the comfort of my parents’ home, to fending for myself alone in Bangalore. From spending most of my day on the cricket field, to trying to find two days a week to practice!

I learnt to cook, clean and talk to strangers—the last of which I was never good at.

I got a job that I love, met some wonderful people, and gained some perspective of life in general.

I turned from someone who was so focused on cricket that she couldn’t see the end of her nose, to someone who came to see there is so much more to life than just the sport.

2015 saw me make my debut for the South Zone Senior women’s team, get selected for India Blue in the Challenger trophy and also represent India ‘A’ against a touring New Zealand team in June.

The highest point of 2015: India A vs New Zealand
Those were easily the best parts of the year for me, but it was not all like that.

Life is not always going to be rainbows and butterflies—don’t we all know that well!

Being alone in Bangalore, while certainly not the most difficult place to live, was a little hard to start with. 

Figuring out how to get around (it’s not easy with all the one-ways, trust me), where I could go for practice, how to get there, and all that was a little tricky. But once I got used to the place, the people and the traffic, I began to enjoy it.

I suppose being alone was the biggest lesson of all—certainly something I needed to push me along.

The 2015-16 season hasn’t been my best yet, but it is another year in which I believe I have grown much stronger. It is always wonderful to be part of a team that is winning, but it’s even better when you have the kind of quality we have in our team.

To be playing alongside Gouher Sultana, Sravanthi Naidu and Diana David after what seems like a while is more than I could ask for, and to make things better, we’ve got Purnima Rau and Nooshin Al Khadeer, both wonderful mentors as part of our coaching staff.

To play alongside Gouher Sultana is always a pleasure.
2016 comes with great opportunities. We are in Kolkata for the Twenty20-leg of the season. I couldn’t be more excited. The last time I was here I was making my debut for South Zone—I’m sure good things are in store. After all, Hyderabadis are known to have a love-affair with the Eden Gardens!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous ...

More than numbers: The M Shalini effect

I’ve seen a lot of my teammates walk away from the game—most of the time without the slightest warning, without even saying goodbye. I have watched as they faded away into the distance, and each time I have regretted that I/we never got a chance to celebrate their achievements. Recently, another teammate, one of my dearest friends, chose to step away from the game we love so much. It has still not sunk in. Playing in a Hyderabad team without her will be strange, and I won’t believe it is possible until it actually happens. When I heard the news, I realized that I didn’t want to regret letting her fade off, and that it was time to celebrate a career that has had a huge impact on mine. To me, Mantravadi Shalini will always be a super star. When I first started playing, she was the senior whom I used to carry extra peanut butter sandwiches for, who was the ‘princess’ of camp because she had the most number of ‘fans’, and who came whizzing in on her TVS Scooty milliseconds before...

When the ball began to roll...

Like most Indian children, I grew up in a household where cricket was one of the most talked about subjects-- this though, only after i was 7! Till then I had been locked away in the cricket-free country of the United States of America. I spent four years in that country, playing almost all the sports it had to offer, but never hearing the word "cricket" (apart from the insect, of course). Almost as soon as we returned to India, the wave of euphoria surrounding the sport hit me unawares. As a 7 year old, who had no idea that a sport could become a religion in a country as large as India, it was rather scary. I took a while to adjust to it, but like most other Indians, I took to the game quickly. With a lot of help from my grandfather ('Thatha'- my mother's father), i picked up on the various rules of the sport and before I knew it, cricket had become an important part of my life. I started off playing on the terrace with my father and a tennis ball. We had the ...