Skip to main content

Looking down the team list

When I first started playing representative cricket, whenever a team list was put up, my first worry was whether I made the team or not. My finger would trace all the names and slow down when it reached number 12 or 13. Is my name there? Once I found it, my joy knew no bounds. The names before (and after, if there were any) never registered. It was only about seeing my name on the list—that was the first step!

As the years went by and I became a more permanent fixture in the squad, checking the team list became more about whether my name appeared higher than the last year. If I started off at 15 in my first year, moved to 11 a few years later, did I move up the ranks as the years progressed? No.8, maybe 7? What about 5?

Once I got over that, team announcements became less about finding my name and more about who else had made it. Don’t get me wrong, I never took my place for granted, but once I found my name, I would always take a careful look at the team I would be playing with.

Over the years of course, the team became like a family. We shared more memories together than with other friends. We got used to being around each other and forged some unforgettable bonds. So obviously, when team announcements were made, we were all worried about whether the other made it or not. We felt happiness and disappointment for each other… Even wept for each other.

I consider myself extremely fortunate to have understood very early in my career that your place in a team has to be earned. I broke into the Hyderabad Senior team when the side was packed with so many fantastic players. I spent two years on the fringes, overlooked because I had done nothing of any real consequence at the Under-19 level. Once I did manage to break into the side, I spent a few more years on the bench as 12th man. As much as the wait left me frustrated, it was a period that taught me how special and important that cap is, and how privileged I was to be part of a team that was at the top of its game.

Maybe as I have grown older I have been less accepting of change. I remember those years sitting on the bench wishing one of the seniors would sit out just to give me a chance to prove my worth. Now, I know how much a good senior player can contribute to a team just by being out there on the field.

I grew up in probably one of the best groups of Hyderabad players. There was so much talent and respect among the senior group that most of the time I was in awe of them. Now I can call the likes of Gouher Sultana, Sravanthi Naidu, Sowjanya Nath, Mamtha Kanojia, Diana David, Sunitha Anand, M Shalini and so many others my friends! I think of the 14 year old me and feel blessed!

I am no longer 14 anymore, which means my seniors have grown up too. Many of them have moved on with their lives, while others have been forced to. I have to admit that I haven’t been the most open to these changes. Many of the players I grew up playing with have moved on, and there’s always a younger lot there to replace them. It’s not like I do it on purpose, but I suppose sometimes I haven’t been the best at openly accepting these kids who walk in as replacements. It’s not like I have abused them and shunned them to a corner, but there has always been that voice in the back of my head that tells me my friends aren’t around because of them… But then again, they have done nothing wrong. Breaking into the Senior team is a big deal!

I am not sure why I am writing this… Or if any of it is even connected, but when I looked at the team this morning, I felt empty…

I followed the usual routine… I looked for my name, and found it… And then I looked for a few other names, found them… and then I looked again and again, but I couldn’t find two names that have always been around since I made my debut for Hyderabad… It felt strange… It felt wrong… It’s not meant to be this way…


Maybe we all have to move on at some point in our lives, but I have always believed that sometimes people should be given a little more respect, for no other reason than the fact that they have earned it… For no other reason than the fact that it’s the least we can do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How South Africa saved my life

Have you ever felt such an attachment to a team that you live and breathe their results? Have you ever become so invested in their success that every move of each one of their players becomes something you track — simply because? Have you rearranged your routine to make sure you’re able to watch said team? And has this team’s success sometimes lifted you from the depths of darkness? If you’re a sports fan, I bet your answer is yes. Sport is like that… it draws us in, wraps us tightly in its grip, and before we know it, there’s no escape. Often, there’s no logical explanation as to why you love a certain team. It could be a loyalty that is passed down through generations, a connection that grew when your favourite player joined them, a fascination that began due to an obsession with their jersey (you know who you are!) or something even more bizarre. Today, I’m telling my story of a sports team that saved my life… Dramatic, I know, but hey, it’s my story. This is a team to which I will

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous

A fire I hope will never be extinguished

Here's something i wrote a couple of years ago when i had to take a break from playing because of my 12th class board exams... I stare at my books… Try to read… ‘Supply is directly proportional to the price of a commodity’… It doesn’t register. I continue to read… ‘Law of supply states the relationship…’- it still doesn’t register. I shake myself, jump around and sit down again, hoping it made a difference, but knowing deep down that nothing can change the way I feel. “Give it one more shot”, I tell myself. For the twenty-third time I open my Economics book hoping I will finally understand ‘the law of supply’ and all that’s related to it, and for the twenty-third time in a row, I fail. “Why?” I ask myself. “Why can’t you concentrate? Even for five minutes.” “You’re disturbed”, my mind tells me, “and you know that.” Finally I give in. I accept defeat. Yes, I am disturbed, but it’s just because and essential part of my life seems to be missing. “SEEMS to be?” I question angrily