Skip to main content

'The Big Test'-- Women's version!

As the Indian women’s cricket team gears up for the Test match against England, my mind drifts to early February, to a time when I was swallowing every bit of information Cricinfo had to offer. I navigated my way to the Women’s Cricket page and the first article that showed up was titled ‘Indian women to play Test in England’. My heart raced and I couldn’t believe my eyes. I quickly opened the article and read it… Not once, not twice, but all of five times. Each time I read it, the excitement grew. Could it really be? A Test match after eight years? And in England at that? I must be dreaming! The news just couldn’t get any better.

Turns out I wasn’t dreaming after all, and the Indian women are scheduled to play a solitary Test match in Wormsley followed by three one day games at Scarborough. The squad landed in England a couple of weeks ago. Of the 16, only three have any experience playing Test cricket. All three though, have played Test cricket in England and tasted success there too. Captain Mithali Raj, Vice- Captain Karuna Jain, and spearhead Jhulan Goswami were all part of India’s tour to England in 2006, when they defeated the hosts 1-0 in a two Test series. Goswami terrorized the English girls, taking 10 wickets in the second Test at Taunton. She returns as the leader of the attack, rejuvenated and ready to scatter the stumps again. Mithali Raj, too, has some fond memories of Test matches in England. She scored a double hundred on her first (Test) tour there and has continued to get runs in those conditions ever since—the recent match against the MCC is proof enough. Wicket-keeper, Karuna Jain has the advantage of having played all her Test matches against England. She has been in and around the Indian squad for quite a while now and her immense experience at the domestic level means she knows her game inside out.

Though none of the others have played a single Test match, they all have some international experience under their belts. Apart from Jhulan Goswami, Niranjana Nagarajan, Shubhlakshmi Sharma and Ekta Bisht have all played in England before. Niranjana, in particular, will have warm memories of her previous tour to the UK—she picked up 3 wickets at Lord’s, followed by her career-best figures of 3 for 24 at Truro. The rest of the bowlers, Shikha Pandey, Poonam Yadav and Rajeshwari Gayakwad, have made promising starts to their careers and definitely have the ability to step up to the plate when they are called upon. The bowling unit may not look as strong as the days of Neetu David, Jhulan Goswami, Nooshin Al Khadeer, Rumeli Dhar, Deepa Marathe and the others, but they are all capable of delivering the goods.

The batting will depend heavily on the fortunes of the captain. Poonam Raut, Harmanpreet Kaur and Karuna Jain will provide valuable experience to the line-up as well. Southpaws Smriti Mandhana and Thirush Kamini will look to make their mark outside the sub-continent with some meaningful contributions. VR Vanitha, Swagatika Rath, and Sushma Verma will all be itching to get into the action and stamp their authority on the English girls—aggression is their way to go! 
(All the batters showed promise in the warm up game against the England Academy squad. They will be looking to carry on from where they left off).


All in all it should be a pretty interesting series. The last time India toured England, they played bravely, coming close to beating the hosts. Having led the one day series 2-0, they lost the next 3 and the series too. Let’s hope this time things turn out differently. I for one can’t wait for the Test to begin—if only they were telecasting it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How South Africa saved my life

Have you ever felt such an attachment to a team that you live and breathe their results? Have you ever become so invested in their success that every move of each one of their players becomes something you track — simply because? Have you rearranged your routine to make sure you’re able to watch said team? And has this team’s success sometimes lifted you from the depths of darkness? If you’re a sports fan, I bet your answer is yes. Sport is like that… it draws us in, wraps us tightly in its grip, and before we know it, there’s no escape. Often, there’s no logical explanation as to why you love a certain team. It could be a loyalty that is passed down through generations, a connection that grew when your favourite player joined them, a fascination that began due to an obsession with their jersey (you know who you are!) or something even more bizarre. Today, I’m telling my story of a sports team that saved my life… Dramatic, I know, but hey, it’s my story. This is a team to which I will

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous

A fire I hope will never be extinguished

Here's something i wrote a couple of years ago when i had to take a break from playing because of my 12th class board exams... I stare at my books… Try to read… ‘Supply is directly proportional to the price of a commodity’… It doesn’t register. I continue to read… ‘Law of supply states the relationship…’- it still doesn’t register. I shake myself, jump around and sit down again, hoping it made a difference, but knowing deep down that nothing can change the way I feel. “Give it one more shot”, I tell myself. For the twenty-third time I open my Economics book hoping I will finally understand ‘the law of supply’ and all that’s related to it, and for the twenty-third time in a row, I fail. “Why?” I ask myself. “Why can’t you concentrate? Even for five minutes.” “You’re disturbed”, my mind tells me, “and you know that.” Finally I give in. I accept defeat. Yes, I am disturbed, but it’s just because and essential part of my life seems to be missing. “SEEMS to be?” I question angrily