Skip to main content

Putting me through my paces

A post slightly overdue!

The 2013-14 cricket season has been a roller-coaster ride to say the least, and it hasn’t even ended yet. All the on/ off-field drama aside, for me it was one where I saw two teammates walk away from the game. Both girls had major impacts on my career and were very good friends—something that made their stepping aside even harder to deal with.

The first was Sowjanya Nath, the leader of the Hyderabad pace attack. Sowji taught me so much about the art of fast bowling. I watched in awe as she ripped through top quality batting sides. We fed off each other, monitoring each other’s progress and willing the other to do well.

Initially, my relationship with Sowji was purely professional. We spent years in the same camp and same dressing room, but things didn’t look like they would change. I looked up to her and respected her. I admired her too, but all from a distance. She was, after all, my senior; I couldn’t possibly expect her to treat me as an equal!

One day in Mumbai though, all this changed. We were playing the All India Super Leagues and Sowji had a shoulder injury. She couldn’t bowl that entire season and played purely as a batswoman. The fast bowlers (of which I was one) hadn’t particularly done very well in the previous games and we were due to play Indian Railways next—the giants of domestic cricket. In every team meeting the pacers would take a lot of stick, and that day it seemed like Sowji had heard enough. She vouched for us and said she would take complete responsibility for our performance. She stood up and defended us saying we would come to the party when it really mattered. The next day, almost fairytale like, we gave the team the best ever start—Railways was reeling at 36 for 4 after 20 overs, both fast bowlers having bowled their full quota of 10 overs! All through my spell, Sowji stood at mid-off and talked me through each delivery. It was then that I realized our relationship was changing—here was a girl I could call my friend.

What Sowji did (for us as a group, and me, personally) that evening taught me a great deal. I learned that in the face of failure, sometimes all you need is a friendly hand on the shoulder; someone to stand up for you and show faith in your ability. That’s exactly what Sowji did for us, and we flourished under that support. For me, that was the day that Sowjanya Nath became my friend, and that was the day she became the leader of the Hyderabad attack!

I saw Sowji at her best, and at her lowest point. A year away from the art she so loved brought back the fire that had been missing the previous season. She took the new ball in 2012 and didn’t look back—4 wickets in her comeback game, couldn’t get better!


When Sowji did well, the team was always on top. She brought an energy and life to the group that without her, could at times seem dead. Her laugh was infectious, and boy did she know how to have a good time! Her ability to laugh through the difficult phases was what increased my respect for her. To Sowji, I owe a great deal. She was a mentor and teammate who contributed much more than she knows to my growth as a cricketer. Sharing the new ball with her only increased my love for the game. I cannot say we had the most successful opening partnership, but for me, it was one that helped me grow as a bowler. Bowlers really do hunt in pairs, and I count myself as lucky to have been the other half of this pair!

(To be continued...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How South Africa saved my life

Have you ever felt such an attachment to a team that you live and breathe their results? Have you ever become so invested in their success that every move of each one of their players becomes something you track — simply because? Have you rearranged your routine to make sure you’re able to watch said team? And has this team’s success sometimes lifted you from the depths of darkness? If you’re a sports fan, I bet your answer is yes. Sport is like that… it draws us in, wraps us tightly in its grip, and before we know it, there’s no escape. Often, there’s no logical explanation as to why you love a certain team. It could be a loyalty that is passed down through generations, a connection that grew when your favourite player joined them, a fascination that began due to an obsession with their jersey (you know who you are!) or something even more bizarre. Today, I’m telling my story of a sports team that saved my life… Dramatic, I know, but hey, it’s my story. This is a team to which I will

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous

A fire I hope will never be extinguished

Here's something i wrote a couple of years ago when i had to take a break from playing because of my 12th class board exams... I stare at my books… Try to read… ‘Supply is directly proportional to the price of a commodity’… It doesn’t register. I continue to read… ‘Law of supply states the relationship…’- it still doesn’t register. I shake myself, jump around and sit down again, hoping it made a difference, but knowing deep down that nothing can change the way I feel. “Give it one more shot”, I tell myself. For the twenty-third time I open my Economics book hoping I will finally understand ‘the law of supply’ and all that’s related to it, and for the twenty-third time in a row, I fail. “Why?” I ask myself. “Why can’t you concentrate? Even for five minutes.” “You’re disturbed”, my mind tells me, “and you know that.” Finally I give in. I accept defeat. Yes, I am disturbed, but it’s just because and essential part of my life seems to be missing. “SEEMS to be?” I question angrily