Skip to main content

An affair to remember



It’s amazing how a piece of wood can become such an important part of your life… How every time you wield it in your hand it’s like your very life depends on it… How when it rains you hold it close to your chest, shielding it from every drop… How you seem to share a heartbeat… (How can I piece of wood have a heartbeat, you ask? I’m sure one day you’ll find an ‘object’ that does). How a small crack in the wood causes a great deal of pain in your heart and leads to even more anxiety when it is being repaired… In short, how you care for it, as if the “piece of wood” were your own flesh and blood.

That perfectly describes my relationship with my RNS Larsons ‘Omega’ bat; one that began in the summer of 2008 and was forced to a close a few weeks ago.
Sometimes you know right away that there is a connection; and when I picked up that bat, I knew right away that it was made for me! It weighed 1099gms, had a rather thin blade (compared to the ones you see now), but was beautifully balanced and felt almost like a wand in my hand! (I suppose now I understand why many others called it a ‘toothpick’).
I spent a good 4 months ‘seasoning’ it… Using linseed oil to ‘protect’ the wood and slowly knocking it in till I knew for sure it was ready for the competition.
I began using it in the nets, and at the very start knew that the ‘sweet spot’ was more than ‘sweet’, it was sensational. Any ball that hit the middle of that bat, would race off. It made me feel powerful, no matter what ‘form’ I was in.

I played some innings’ that I’m very proud of (with that bat), and others that I’d like to forget. We shared an unforgettable journey. One that began in a small sports shop in ‘General Bazar’, and ended 5 years later on a small ground in Cuttack. It was a journey that started off with a flurry of pull shots that brought up my first half century, then a few cover drives placed perfectly, a couple of lofted strokes straight over the bowler’s head, and ended with a reverse sweep that bisected backward point and short third-man and ran away towards the boundary!

When your favorite pen runs out of ink, all you have to do is fill it up again, but when your favorite pair of shoes begin to give way you can only repair them a few times—after that it’s all over. You my feel a tinge of regret, disappointment even, but when I when I walked into ‘Indiana Sports’ to get my bat repaired and was told that there was no point (in doing so) my heart sank. I suppose at the back of my mind I knew its time was up, but I never wanted to believe it. I was hoping against hope that it would last me a couple more tournaments— I suppose it just wasn’t meant to be.

Times now, have changed. Bats are all “ready to use” and don’t need to be conditioned at all. They break more easily and no one seems to care. There are a far less number of (as I like to call them), ‘bat tragics’ now, than there may have been ten years ago.

A relationship is forged over years. The ones that are nurtured and taken care of every step of the way are those that last longest. I’ve had my bat repaired, but I know if I use it now I will see it next in 5 different pieces. I suppose I keep it more for memory than anything else… After all, it really was an affair to remember!


Comments

  1. Yes, very true. I still have my bats. Take good care of it till the very end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures, especially that of the bat with the gloves...such a creative shot :) A very straight-from-heart narration, as always!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How South Africa saved my life

Have you ever felt such an attachment to a team that you live and breathe their results? Have you ever become so invested in their success that every move of each one of their players becomes something you track — simply because? Have you rearranged your routine to make sure you’re able to watch said team? And has this team’s success sometimes lifted you from the depths of darkness? If you’re a sports fan, I bet your answer is yes. Sport is like that… it draws us in, wraps us tightly in its grip, and before we know it, there’s no escape. Often, there’s no logical explanation as to why you love a certain team. It could be a loyalty that is passed down through generations, a connection that grew when your favourite player joined them, a fascination that began due to an obsession with their jersey (you know who you are!) or something even more bizarre. Today, I’m telling my story of a sports team that saved my life… Dramatic, I know, but hey, it’s my story. This is a team to which I will

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous

A fire I hope will never be extinguished

Here's something i wrote a couple of years ago when i had to take a break from playing because of my 12th class board exams... I stare at my books… Try to read… ‘Supply is directly proportional to the price of a commodity’… It doesn’t register. I continue to read… ‘Law of supply states the relationship…’- it still doesn’t register. I shake myself, jump around and sit down again, hoping it made a difference, but knowing deep down that nothing can change the way I feel. “Give it one more shot”, I tell myself. For the twenty-third time I open my Economics book hoping I will finally understand ‘the law of supply’ and all that’s related to it, and for the twenty-third time in a row, I fail. “Why?” I ask myself. “Why can’t you concentrate? Even for five minutes.” “You’re disturbed”, my mind tells me, “and you know that.” Finally I give in. I accept defeat. Yes, I am disturbed, but it’s just because and essential part of my life seems to be missing. “SEEMS to be?” I question angrily