Skip to main content

Fielding, the Jonty way!


Jonty Rhodes is the greatest fielder the world has ever seen. From the current lot of players i suppose AB de Villiers, Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke and maybe even Suresh Raina are up there, but deinitely not in the same league as Rhodes.
I've grown up watching the man dive and slide his way to greatness. He made fielding an art at a time when it was one of the most neglected areas of the sport. Only more recently with the rise of T20 cricket and close finishes in the 50 over format have players and coaches begun to emphasise more on fielding as the third area of specialization.
As a youngster who began playing cricket on the terrace with her father, fielding was one of my favorite parts of the game. We had 'catching practice' everyday where i would dive on the concrete, oblivious to the fact that i could cause serious damage to my body; the reason being-- I thought Jonty Rhodes would be proud of me!
When i began playing 'serious' cricket I was always first taken as a fielder, and i honestly had no problem with that. I prided (and still do) myself on my fielding and always considered myself an asset in the field. When I broke into the Hyderabad Senior team, even though i had scored a half century in the Under 19 level to do so, i was taken as a fielder. It was not until my third season in the Senior team that i began to make my mark as a new ball bowler.
Fielding to me will always be the most important part of the game. You may be a fantastic batsman but if you are -20 in the field, it's not worth it. Maybe that's too harsh for some people, but having idolized the likes of Rhodes and Ponting and having always wanted to emulate thier efforts in the field, its the least one can expect.

Today, we (the Hyderabad Senior team) got the opportunity to train under none other than Jonty Rhodes himself. It was a dream come true! He was absolutely fantastic with us. He didn't sound like a 'star', he didn't even seem any different from one of us.
We had an absolutely superb session and I believe we proved to Jonty that the girls are not far behind the boys! (He certainly seemed to think so).
Towards the end of the session, after we got him to sign a few autographs and pose for a few photos, I shook his hand and told him how naive i had once been-- diving on the terrace becuase i believed he would be proud of me. His smile simply grew wider and he said, "You thought right. I'm sure i would have been proud. Thank you!"

Many people say that meeting your idol is usually a let down, but honestly, today, it wasn't! I had the most amazing time. My respect and admiration for Jonty Rhodes remains, in fact, i believe it has increased ten fold!


Comments

  1. brilliantly written... wow u dived on concrete...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congratulations again! I understand... I was always selected as a fielder too at first... So, yeah... Wish I had the pleasure of meeting him too... Hopefully you can give me some advice which he gave you... lol... Continue to flot in the clouds! lol...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous ...

More than numbers: The M Shalini effect

I’ve seen a lot of my teammates walk away from the game—most of the time without the slightest warning, without even saying goodbye. I have watched as they faded away into the distance, and each time I have regretted that I/we never got a chance to celebrate their achievements. Recently, another teammate, one of my dearest friends, chose to step away from the game we love so much. It has still not sunk in. Playing in a Hyderabad team without her will be strange, and I won’t believe it is possible until it actually happens. When I heard the news, I realized that I didn’t want to regret letting her fade off, and that it was time to celebrate a career that has had a huge impact on mine. To me, Mantravadi Shalini will always be a super star. When I first started playing, she was the senior whom I used to carry extra peanut butter sandwiches for, who was the ‘princess’ of camp because she had the most number of ‘fans’, and who came whizzing in on her TVS Scooty milliseconds before...

When the ball began to roll...

Like most Indian children, I grew up in a household where cricket was one of the most talked about subjects-- this though, only after i was 7! Till then I had been locked away in the cricket-free country of the United States of America. I spent four years in that country, playing almost all the sports it had to offer, but never hearing the word "cricket" (apart from the insect, of course). Almost as soon as we returned to India, the wave of euphoria surrounding the sport hit me unawares. As a 7 year old, who had no idea that a sport could become a religion in a country as large as India, it was rather scary. I took a while to adjust to it, but like most other Indians, I took to the game quickly. With a lot of help from my grandfather ('Thatha'- my mother's father), i picked up on the various rules of the sport and before I knew it, cricket had become an important part of my life. I started off playing on the terrace with my father and a tennis ball. We had the ...