Skip to main content

Fielding, the Jonty way!


Jonty Rhodes is the greatest fielder the world has ever seen. From the current lot of players i suppose AB de Villiers, Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke and maybe even Suresh Raina are up there, but deinitely not in the same league as Rhodes.
I've grown up watching the man dive and slide his way to greatness. He made fielding an art at a time when it was one of the most neglected areas of the sport. Only more recently with the rise of T20 cricket and close finishes in the 50 over format have players and coaches begun to emphasise more on fielding as the third area of specialization.
As a youngster who began playing cricket on the terrace with her father, fielding was one of my favorite parts of the game. We had 'catching practice' everyday where i would dive on the concrete, oblivious to the fact that i could cause serious damage to my body; the reason being-- I thought Jonty Rhodes would be proud of me!
When i began playing 'serious' cricket I was always first taken as a fielder, and i honestly had no problem with that. I prided (and still do) myself on my fielding and always considered myself an asset in the field. When I broke into the Hyderabad Senior team, even though i had scored a half century in the Under 19 level to do so, i was taken as a fielder. It was not until my third season in the Senior team that i began to make my mark as a new ball bowler.
Fielding to me will always be the most important part of the game. You may be a fantastic batsman but if you are -20 in the field, it's not worth it. Maybe that's too harsh for some people, but having idolized the likes of Rhodes and Ponting and having always wanted to emulate thier efforts in the field, its the least one can expect.

Today, we (the Hyderabad Senior team) got the opportunity to train under none other than Jonty Rhodes himself. It was a dream come true! He was absolutely fantastic with us. He didn't sound like a 'star', he didn't even seem any different from one of us.
We had an absolutely superb session and I believe we proved to Jonty that the girls are not far behind the boys! (He certainly seemed to think so).
Towards the end of the session, after we got him to sign a few autographs and pose for a few photos, I shook his hand and told him how naive i had once been-- diving on the terrace becuase i believed he would be proud of me. His smile simply grew wider and he said, "You thought right. I'm sure i would have been proud. Thank you!"

Many people say that meeting your idol is usually a let down, but honestly, today, it wasn't! I had the most amazing time. My respect and admiration for Jonty Rhodes remains, in fact, i believe it has increased ten fold!


Comments

  1. brilliantly written... wow u dived on concrete...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congratulations again! I understand... I was always selected as a fielder too at first... So, yeah... Wish I had the pleasure of meeting him too... Hopefully you can give me some advice which he gave you... lol... Continue to flot in the clouds! lol...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How South Africa saved my life

Have you ever felt such an attachment to a team that you live and breathe their results? Have you ever become so invested in their success that every move of each one of their players becomes something you track — simply because? Have you rearranged your routine to make sure you’re able to watch said team? And has this team’s success sometimes lifted you from the depths of darkness? If you’re a sports fan, I bet your answer is yes. Sport is like that… it draws us in, wraps us tightly in its grip, and before we know it, there’s no escape. Often, there’s no logical explanation as to why you love a certain team. It could be a loyalty that is passed down through generations, a connection that grew when your favourite player joined them, a fascination that began due to an obsession with their jersey (you know who you are!) or something even more bizarre. Today, I’m telling my story of a sports team that saved my life… Dramatic, I know, but hey, it’s my story. This is a team to which I will

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous

Walking: A matter of opinion

‘To walk?’ or ‘Not to walk?’ The debate has been raging for a long time, and I’ve finally decided to have my say. It was only yesterday, that Sachin Tendulkar ‘walked’ after he was given ‘not out’ by umpire Steve Davis when he was caught behind of Ravi Rampaul. The edge was so thin, it wasn’t even picked up on the replay, and there was hardly a noise too—but the Master still walked! Had Sachin stood his ground, and had the West Indians called for a review, I’m assuming they would have lost one (and thus, Steve Davis’ record of 100% correct decisions, this World Cup, would’ve remained). In contrast, two days ago, Ricky Ponting clearly nicked one and was caught by Kamran Akmal- he was given ‘not out’ by Umpire Erasmus. (I personally believe that umpire Erasmus was so shocked that Akmal took the catch he was unable to make a decision!) The Pakistanis reviewed the decision, and replays clearly showed that there was a healthy edge, and Ponting was made to look quite the fool. He justified