Skip to main content

4 and out? You must be joking!


Over the past week or so there’s been continuous talk of how five unlucky girls from Hyderabad may miss out on playing in this year’s Under 19 tournament. Why? Because of some silly rule that is applicable to the boys and therefore should be applicable to the girls as well. I believe it’s absolute nonsense! What is this rule, you ask? It is that a player may not be allowed to represent her Under 19 state team for more than four seasons. Again you may ask- Why? It’s quite simple really—there are around 500 boys vying for 15 spots in the state team… The 4 year rule was introduced to give everyone an equal opportunity and make sure boys were not pushed too early into a level they are not ready for. I suppose it’s a pretty good rule if you consider the amount of competition in boy’s cricket, but for the girls… It just won’t work!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, women’s cricket in India is not very popular, which means that there aren’t too many players. Each state (barring maybe Andhra) in the South, has a pool of 18-25 players at the Under 19 level. Considering that most of these girls started playing when they were 13 or 14, they have already played at least two to three seasons for their state Under 19 sides.

My arguments against the application of this rule in the women’s game are clear and very simple.
1.     The girls (five from Hyderabad and one from Tamil Nadu) who are affected by this rule are some of the most talented junior cricketers you will find. A couple of these girls are only 16. They have a lot of cricket left in them and their best performances are yet to come.                                                              

      The rule (if applied) , will leave these girls hanging…. It may even prematurely end (what I believe    could be) pretty successful careers.
2.     
     There isn’t much depth (yet) in women’s cricket in our country. Cutting out players who are ‘impact players’ for their side will simply lower the standard of junior cricket in India. Leaving out these players will lead to the adding of girls who are in the state Under 16 squad and the cycle will only continue.

My question is where is the sport in this country headed? Because as far as I can see, it’s definitely not forward…

It’s absolutely ridiculous to apply this rule; and I’m not just saying this because the Hyderabad team has been severely affected. I’m saying it because I’m genuinely concerned about the future of women’s cricket in India.

It is still growing, and if we want to have a strong base it’s important our junior cricketers are taken care of. If that means they play Under 19 for more than four years, so be it! They only make the side in the first place because they’re good enough to be there. The more they play, the more they improve—it’s only natural.

I sincerely hope the appeal against the application of this rule is seriously considered… fingers crossed

Comments

  1. Rightly said.. The ones who truly want womens' cricket to go upward certainly HATE this rule. Isn't it fun when you play more?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. wish we could play more games:(..

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad u came with this..first of all women cricketers hardly get any tournaments..to top it , a ridiculous rule...especially for women cricketers.. a talented girl for e.g who is about 12-13 yrs directly makes her debut in U-19 as there are no bcci tournaments below u-19 and in 4 yrs she has matured as a cricketer and she cannot play an age bracket tournament just because of some foolish rule... insane..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How South Africa saved my life

Have you ever felt such an attachment to a team that you live and breathe their results? Have you ever become so invested in their success that every move of each one of their players becomes something you track — simply because? Have you rearranged your routine to make sure you’re able to watch said team? And has this team’s success sometimes lifted you from the depths of darkness? If you’re a sports fan, I bet your answer is yes. Sport is like that… it draws us in, wraps us tightly in its grip, and before we know it, there’s no escape. Often, there’s no logical explanation as to why you love a certain team. It could be a loyalty that is passed down through generations, a connection that grew when your favourite player joined them, a fascination that began due to an obsession with their jersey (you know who you are!) or something even more bizarre. Today, I’m telling my story of a sports team that saved my life… Dramatic, I know, but hey, it’s my story. This is a team to which I will

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous

A fire I hope will never be extinguished

Here's something i wrote a couple of years ago when i had to take a break from playing because of my 12th class board exams... I stare at my books… Try to read… ‘Supply is directly proportional to the price of a commodity’… It doesn’t register. I continue to read… ‘Law of supply states the relationship…’- it still doesn’t register. I shake myself, jump around and sit down again, hoping it made a difference, but knowing deep down that nothing can change the way I feel. “Give it one more shot”, I tell myself. For the twenty-third time I open my Economics book hoping I will finally understand ‘the law of supply’ and all that’s related to it, and for the twenty-third time in a row, I fail. “Why?” I ask myself. “Why can’t you concentrate? Even for five minutes.” “You’re disturbed”, my mind tells me, “and you know that.” Finally I give in. I accept defeat. Yes, I am disturbed, but it’s just because and essential part of my life seems to be missing. “SEEMS to be?” I question angrily