Skip to main content

Girls v/s Boys

A few days ago a 16 year old boy named Naresh asked me whether there was no competition in girls cricket. I couldn't help but laugh when he asked me...

Women's cricket may have made progress in terms of facilities and exposure, but the number of players remains the same. In state teams you find 25 girls fighting for 15 spots. On the other hand, in boys teams, almost 200 boys fight it out for a place in the selected 15.
Like I told Naresh, in comparison to men's cricket, women's cricket is far behind, not in terms of facilities, but in terms of competition.
Boys start playing cricket in school, when they're 10 or 11, whereas girls have no such opportunity.  The boys have many more categories as well- under 12, under 14, under 16, under 19, under 22 and ranji. The girls have two categories-  under 19 and seniors (open category). Not only that, but boys have more of an opportunity to play just for fun. They have inter-school matches, inter-college matches, corporate and even club matches. In women's cricket you only get a chance to play if you're 'good enough' to play for the state.
This I think is very unfair. If the officials want women's cricket to make progress and expand, then it's important that young girls too get the chance to play at an early age. It's not even like the girls are not interested... They are! In fact, I tried to start a girls cricket team in one of the schools I attended. I spoke to the Principal and he agreed almost immediately, but he said that the girls would need a different coach from the boys and that I would have to take care of that! It didn't make much sense really, but I went ahead anyway and made announcements, took down names and found that more than 150 girls (across classes XII to VI) were extremely interested to play. Before I could make any more progress I passed out of school and never went back to talk to the Principal.
What I'm trying to say is that for the game to spread and become more popular among the girls, it's important that they're given a chance to play in school. That way the competition will grow which will lead to an increase in standards as well. Everyone benefits! The reason why the Indian men's cricket team has been so successful in the past two years is because there has been a lot of healthy competition within the team. People are being challenged for their places and there is someone waiting in the wings ready to replace the other. Women's cricket can only reach such heights if the game spreads at the grass root levels and more girls are encouraged to play...
Another luxury the men have over women is that they have the chance to play 'just for fun'- club and corporate matches. Even when they're old and round and just want to play for the sake of playing they have opportunities to do so, whereas the women don't. Once you stop playing competitive cricket, it usually signals the end of your playing career which is unfair. One of my former teammates who is now a journalist wants to start playing again- just for fun. After a couple of discussions, we realised that she'll never really be able to play any matches unless she joins the state camps and plays practice matches... It's just not fair.
Very often before practice we see a group of old, round men playing matches and having a whale of a time in Gymkhana. They're quite obviously playing a corporate or club match or something of that sort. Never have I seen a group of women playing for the simple reason that they want to play- they have no such opportunity.
Yes, women's cricket in India is growing, but there's still a long way to go. We need more opportunities to go out there and prove that we can play too. Hopefully it's just a matter of time...

Comments

  1. Nice post yet again... And very true. I wish we could play just for fun sometimes... It's always about beating this team and getting that person out... It's never about having fun...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most interesting. I'm going to forward this to a sport writer friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see the cricketer writing! Enjoyed your posts. Agree wholeheartedly about girls not being able to play just for fun. If you have have a just-for-fun match, count me in as one of the players! It's not my game, but I'll play.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous ...

More than numbers: The M Shalini effect

I’ve seen a lot of my teammates walk away from the game—most of the time without the slightest warning, without even saying goodbye. I have watched as they faded away into the distance, and each time I have regretted that I/we never got a chance to celebrate their achievements. Recently, another teammate, one of my dearest friends, chose to step away from the game we love so much. It has still not sunk in. Playing in a Hyderabad team without her will be strange, and I won’t believe it is possible until it actually happens. When I heard the news, I realized that I didn’t want to regret letting her fade off, and that it was time to celebrate a career that has had a huge impact on mine. To me, Mantravadi Shalini will always be a super star. When I first started playing, she was the senior whom I used to carry extra peanut butter sandwiches for, who was the ‘princess’ of camp because she had the most number of ‘fans’, and who came whizzing in on her TVS Scooty milliseconds before...

When the ball began to roll...

Like most Indian children, I grew up in a household where cricket was one of the most talked about subjects-- this though, only after i was 7! Till then I had been locked away in the cricket-free country of the United States of America. I spent four years in that country, playing almost all the sports it had to offer, but never hearing the word "cricket" (apart from the insect, of course). Almost as soon as we returned to India, the wave of euphoria surrounding the sport hit me unawares. As a 7 year old, who had no idea that a sport could become a religion in a country as large as India, it was rather scary. I took a while to adjust to it, but like most other Indians, I took to the game quickly. With a lot of help from my grandfather ('Thatha'- my mother's father), i picked up on the various rules of the sport and before I knew it, cricket had become an important part of my life. I started off playing on the terrace with my father and a tennis ball. We had the ...