Skip to main content

Remembering Thatha...

It’s been 3 years, but I still haven’t gotten over the fact that I won’t see my grandfather again… Whenever I come back from practice or have done particularly well in a match I think of Thatha and how much of a support he was. When I first started playing, every time we played a match, Thatha would come and watch, no matter how far the ground was from home. He watched me first score my first runs for my club and for the state. He saw me take my first catch. The only thing he missed was my first wicket for the state, which only came in my second tournament!

What I miss most about Thatha was our trips to the station before every tour. He made it a point to speak to every member of the team—find out their name, what they were (batswoman/ bowler/ keeper, etc)—and he would say good luck to each one individually (WITH the name). After one meeting Thatha knew all my teammates! It was rather amazing…

The year Thatha passed away I had what I believe was my ‘breakthrough’ season. I scored my first half century in the Under 19’s and broke into the Senior team. It was a huge break for me and all I could think of was how proud he would have been. There would’ve been ice cream after dinner!

Two years have passed since then and after having done well in the T20’s this season I got another chance to prove my worth—one step higher; and all I can think of NOW is how he’s not here for me to tell him. The minute I was given the news, there was, quite obviously, a feeling of pride and relief, but I also felt slightly empty… The tears just came…

I know that wherever he is, he’s bought a box of butterscotch ice cream and is smiling with pride as he eats it… Hopefully I give him more chances to buy ice cream in the future!

'The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams!'

Comments

  1. My tatha loved butterscotch ice cream=D And chocolates. This blog post opened up some memories, thank you Ananya:) They're amazing people. They are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful keep posting
    jee coimbatore

    ReplyDelete
  3. An angel who will never leave your side...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How South Africa saved my life

Have you ever felt such an attachment to a team that you live and breathe their results? Have you ever become so invested in their success that every move of each one of their players becomes something you track — simply because? Have you rearranged your routine to make sure you’re able to watch said team? And has this team’s success sometimes lifted you from the depths of darkness? If you’re a sports fan, I bet your answer is yes. Sport is like that… it draws us in, wraps us tightly in its grip, and before we know it, there’s no escape. Often, there’s no logical explanation as to why you love a certain team. It could be a loyalty that is passed down through generations, a connection that grew when your favourite player joined them, a fascination that began due to an obsession with their jersey (you know who you are!) or something even more bizarre. Today, I’m telling my story of a sports team that saved my life… Dramatic, I know, but hey, it’s my story. This is a team to which I will

Gouher Sultana: Indian cricket royalty

Some names just have star quality. You hear them and it’s like there’s an aura around the person even before you’ve seen them. Their name sounds ‘big’, royal, even. Gouher Sultana is one such name. “Gouher” means diamond or precious stone. Gouher Sultana? The Queen of Diamonds, Diamond Queen… Take your pick. Either way, it’s pretty darn regal, if you ask me. Who is Gouher Sultana? An Indian cricketer – left-arm spinner extraordinaire – with over 80 international caps and close to 100 wickets to her credit. A Hyderabad captain with over 20 years of domestic cricket under her belt and around 550 wickets in her kitty. A championship-winning maverick who’s carried many a team on her shoulders. An incredible teammate, role model and mentor – arguably one of the best going around. A disciplined, dedicated, hard-working, keen student of the game whose drive has not once diminished over the last two decades. A 30-something-year-old with a great sense of humour, a hearty laugh, a generous

Walking: A matter of opinion

‘To walk?’ or ‘Not to walk?’ The debate has been raging for a long time, and I’ve finally decided to have my say. It was only yesterday, that Sachin Tendulkar ‘walked’ after he was given ‘not out’ by umpire Steve Davis when he was caught behind of Ravi Rampaul. The edge was so thin, it wasn’t even picked up on the replay, and there was hardly a noise too—but the Master still walked! Had Sachin stood his ground, and had the West Indians called for a review, I’m assuming they would have lost one (and thus, Steve Davis’ record of 100% correct decisions, this World Cup, would’ve remained). In contrast, two days ago, Ricky Ponting clearly nicked one and was caught by Kamran Akmal- he was given ‘not out’ by Umpire Erasmus. (I personally believe that umpire Erasmus was so shocked that Akmal took the catch he was unable to make a decision!) The Pakistanis reviewed the decision, and replays clearly showed that there was a healthy edge, and Ponting was made to look quite the fool. He justified